Mediagraphy - Discography - Trackography - Videography - Gigography - Biography - Chronology

22 January 2011

Ray Charles Live In Antibes (1987)

The 1987 Jazz À Juan concert took place on 19 July. The songs were:

1.      Pas-Se-O-Ne Blues (Ray Charles Orchestra)
2.      High On The Hogg (Ray Charles Orchestra)
Intro RC
3.      Then We'll Be Home (Sadies Tune)
4.      Busted
5.      Georgia On My Mind
6.      Mississippi Mud
7.      Just For A Thrill (solo: Jeff Kaye - fh) 
8.      Feel So Bad (solo: Kenny Carr - g)
9.      Yours
Intro Raelettes
10.  Chain Of Fools (ft Estella Yarbrough)
11.  All I Need (Elaine Woodard)
12.  Smack Dab In The Middle
13.  I Can’t Stop Loving You
14.  I Can See Clearly Now
15.  Any Way You Want To
16.  The Pages Of My Mind (ft Elaine Woodard)
17.  I'm Gonna Keep On Singin'
18.  What'd I Say

Outro

Personnel:
Musicians: Mark Curry, Bobby Medina, Ted Murdock, Jeff Kaye - trumpets; Mike Christianson, Armin Marmolejo, Steve Sigmund, Charlie Schofner - trombones; Al Jackson, Clifford Solomon (bandleader), Ricky Woodard, Rudy Johnson, Leroy Cooper - saxophones; Ernest Vantrease - keyboards; Kenny Carr - guitar; Anders Swanson - bass; Paul Kreibich - drums. The Raelettes: Estella Yarbrough, Trudy Cohran, Sharon Creighton, Elaine Woodard, Angela Workman.

The French television recycled the contents of the show in several programs (A - C, below).

A. Special with Sarah Vaughan
On July 19 France 2 aired a 29m29s special titled Sarah Vaughan - Ray Charles, with parts of their concerts (the broadcast was repeated on 24 June 1988; cf. Ina archive ID CPB88008443; I05043478 is a 7 minute cut just with Sarah Vaughan). The program was presented by André Francis and was - as always - directed by Jean Christophe Averty. The special showed: From This Moment (Vaughan), Smack Dab In The Middle (Charles), I Can't Stop Loving You (Charles), Goodbye (Vaughan), Send In The Clowns (Vaughan). There was no direct interaction between Brother Ray and Sister Sass.

B. Possible second Special with Sarah Vaughan
Yet another informant has send me yet another description of source materials or of a TV program extracted from the 1987 footage, archived on two tapes, where "Ray Charles shares the stage with a singer called Sarah Vaughan".
Tape 1 - Sarah Vaughan: There Will Never Be Another You, I'm So Glad There Is You, Just Friends, East Of The Sun, Lush Life, and a 'Gershwin medley'. Ray Charles: #5, 7, 3, 11, 9, 10, 4, 8, 6 from the list above.
Tape 2 - Sarah Vaughan: From This Moment, Goodbye, Send In The Clowns. Ray Charles: #1, 12, 13 from the list above.

C. Special titled I Feel So Bad
This source describes a 37 minute video titled I Feel So Bad. I have seen a partial copy of what most probably is this program, with the numbers 3, 5, 4, 7, 6, 8, 9 from the list above.

D. Radio recording
INA has archived (ID: PHY11006268) a recording of the complete show. This is the only copy I've listened to with the numbers 3, 4, and 11 to 18.

INA keeps 2 more video tapes with rest materials or post production footage, with performances of Mississippi Mud (Ina, I00005182) and Feel So Bad (Ina, ID I00005183) from the same concert.

No comments :

Post a Comment