Mediagraphy - Discography - Trackography - Videography - Gigography - Biography - Chronology

14 March 2010

Interview with Ray Charles, about Jean-Michel Bernard (2003)



Transcript of an interview by Felix Sportis and Jean-Pierre Grosz (Geneva, 8 April 2003):

FS: What is Jean-Michel Bernard’s special quality which makes you love working with him?
RC: I love him because he is better than me! I told you the same thing about Oscar Peterson, I love true talent, this guy is a genius, in my mind… He’s incredible, he really is incredible, I enjoy just being around him, and you know, what I do when I have him on the show with me, I totally focus when he’s playing, on him, you know…
JPG: And he helps you.
RC: That’s right. He is extraordinary. I mean, I have to tell you the truth, he’s a very unusual man in today’s age, you understand what I mean, so that’s why I love him, and when I say he is better than me, I know it sounds weird but I’m being honest.
JPG : He has a great technique…
RC: That’s right. He feels me, everything I do, he’s right there, I can’t get away from him…
JPG : You can go anywhere you want, you don’t have to worry about it.
RC: I know. It’s the way he is.

Source: here.

No comments :

Post a Comment