Mediagraphy - Discography - Trackography - Videography - Gigography - Biography - Chronology

27 March 2010

Ray Charles On Shindig!

With conductor Onzy Matthews.
Shindig! was a fast-paced, teenage music TV show that featured major rock and roll artists and was televised for a live audience. At the time it arguably was the most fun and music-packed teenage show in the U.S.
Shindig! aired from September 1964 through January 1966 and began as a half hour program, expanded to an hour and retracted back to a half hour before going off the air on 8 January 1966. Ray was a guest on the show that aired on 19 May 1965, directed by Dean Whitmore. He looked as if he had gained some weight during his (rehab-)sabatical.

Billy Preston sat in for Ray during rehearsals - the first time they (kind of) worked together professionally (see Billy's testimonial clip here). At Shindig the music and vocal tracks were often recorded one or two days before the episode was taped. The performers then rehearsed numerous times to make sure that their acts looked live. In some cases - as with Ray's, I guess - the vocals were live.
Ad in Billboard, 15 October 1966.

Opening medley (song excerpts): The Righteous Brothers: This Little Girl of Mine. Donna Loren, Bobby Sherman: Sticks and Stones. The Blossoms: Guess Who. The Wellingtons: Hit the Road Jack. Ray Charles: I Can't Stop Loving You. (End of medley). Ray Charles: I've Got A Woman, Georgia. The Righteous Brothers: Bring It on Home To Me, Sticks and Stones. Donna Loren: Cycle Set, Into My Heart. Dinah Lee: You Don't Talk about Love, Oh, Boy! Bobby Sherman: Hey Little Girl, Well Alright. The Zombies: It's Alright with Me, Summertime. George Soulé: I Love The Way You Love. Joe Williams: I'm Sticking with You Baby. Glen Campbell: I Guess I'm Dumb. Ray Peterson: House Without Windows. The Wellingtons: Little Old Lady from Pasadena. The Shindogs: Hippy Hippy Shake. Finale: Ray Charles: What'd I Say (with the Righteous Brothers and The Blossoms). Source here.

There are several DVD collections of the series. Shindig! The Complete Series, from 2005, seems okay.

Georgia On My Mind:


I've Got A Woman:

No comments :

Post a Comment