Mediagraphy - Discography - Trackography - Videography - Gigography - Biography - Chronology

08 February 2010

Volcanic Action Of My Soul (1971)

  1. See You Then
  2. What Am I Living For
  3. Feel So Bad
  4. The Long And Winding Road
  5. The Three Bells
  6. All I Ever Need Is You
  7. Wichita Lineman
  8. Something
  9. I May Be Wrong (But I Think You're Wonderful)
  10. Down In The Valley
Great album, with two compositions by Jimmy Webb, and one each from Lennon/McCartney and George Harrison.

Recorded at RPM International in Los Angeles.

Finer session details are unknown, except for Feel So Bad (#3), arranged by Roger Neumann, recorded on January 18, 1971. Joël Dufour's interviews with some of the involved session musicians have led to the following line-up reconstruction: William King, Blue Mitchell, Don Rader, Bob Senescu - trumpets; Lou Blackburn, Henry Coker, Fred Murrell, Maurice Spears - trombones; Buddy Emmons - steel guitar; Don Peake?, Jerry Reed, Glen Campbell - guitars and (on #6) mandolin; Carol Kaye - bass; Edward "Sharkey" Hall - drums.

Ray may have played alto on #6 (All I Never Need Is You), Buddy Emmons also played pedal steel guitar on #7, Carol Kaye also played bass on #3, Glen Campbell and Jerry Reed contributed to #6 and possibly to some of the other tunes. Sid Feller's penned the arrangements.
Emmons was probably referring to #3 when he wrote (in 2002) that: "Recording with Ray Charles was an awesome experience as anyone might expect, but beyond that, I found our chemistry worked extremely well in the studio. We started with a blues tune with Ray at the piano, running the tune down with just the two of us. After selecting the spots to fill and spending a few minutes on the song, Ray would respond to fills with comments like, 'Yeah man, I think you've got it.' or 'Um hum, you know what the old man likes.' It was a gratifying moment, but I knew what he liked long before I got there, and what I was giving him was what he had given me through many hours of listening to his music. One of my greatest musical experiences was being on stage with Ray and his band in Nashville and his acknowledging my presence during the show. It doesn't get any better than that for a musician."
Feel So Bad and All I Never Need Is You (with Ray's solo on alto saxophone) would stay on Ray's live repertoire until the end.
The album cover carried the Julian Bond poem The Bishop Of Atlanta (see right bottom corner of this page).

ABC/Tangerine 726, April 1971.

Full album:

Tracks currently on YouTube:












No comments :

Post a Comment